Last Updated on 07 May 2023
As a digital nomad, you have the luxury of being able to work from anywhere in the world. However, this also means that you might feel isolated and disconnected from other professionals in your field. That’s where networking comes in – by building relationships with other digital nomads, you can gain new insights, opportunities, and even friendships. In this article, we’ll explore both online and offline networking strategies for digital nomads.
Offline Networking Strategies
Attending conferences is a great way to meet other professionals in your field. Not only do you get to learn about the latest trends and strategies in your industry, but you also get to interact with other people face-to-face. Here are some of the popular digital nomad conferences:
- Nomad Summit: This conference is all about building a successful location-independent lifestyle through entrepreneurship. It takes place in various locations around the world and includes talks from successful digital nomads, workshops, networking events, and more.
- DNX Conference: This is one of the largest digital nomad conferences in Europe, with over 1,200 attendees from different parts of the world. The conference features inspiring talks, interactive workshops, and lots of networking opportunities.
Join a Coworking Space
One of the best ways to connect with other digital nomads is to join a coworking space. Coworking spaces are popping up all over the world, and they provide a great environment for professionals to work and collaborate. Many coworking spaces organize events, workshops, and social gatherings, providing endless opportunities to network. Here are some popular coworking spaces around the world:
- Dojo Bali: Located in Bali, this space offers a unique combination of co-living and coworking. It features a beautiful workspace, comfortable accommodation, and a vibrant community of digital nomads.
- Outsite: This is a global network of coworking and coliving spaces designed for remote workers. With locations in Europe, the US, and Central America, Outsite provides a great way to work and socialize with like-minded professionals.
Attend Local Events
Don’t underestimate the power of local events. Depending on where you are in the world, there might be many opportunities to meet other professionals in your field. Here are some ways to find local events:
- Meetup.com: Meetup is a great platform for finding local events. Simply search for groups and events related to your interests or industry, and RSVP for events that look interesting.
- Eventbrite: Eventbrite is another platform that lets you find and sign up for local events. You can search for events by topic, location, and date.
Volunteering is an excellent way to meet new people and build relationships. Not only does it provide a sense of fulfillment, but it can also help you develop new skills and expand your network. Here are some organizations that offer volunteer opportunities:
- Workaway.info: Workaway is a platform that connects travelers with hosts who need help with various projects. You can volunteer in exchange for accommodation and food, giving you the opportunity to explore new places while meeting new people.
- Local non-profits: Depending on where you are in the world, there might be local non-profit organizations that need volunteers. These organizations might focus on environmental conservation, human rights, animal welfare, or community development. You can search for organizations in your area or check out websites like VolunteerMatch.org to find opportunities.
Online Networking Strategies
Join Facebook Groups
Facebook groups are a great way to connect with other digital nomads. There are many groups specifically for digital nomads, and they offer a variety of benefits, such as:
- Networking opportunities: You can introduce yourself to the group and engage in conversations with other members.
- Job opportunities: Some groups allow members to post job openings or freelance gigs.
- Information sharing: Members can share tips, advice, and information about their experiences as digital nomads.
- Social support: Being a digital nomad can be challenging, and Facebook groups offer a sense of community and support.
Here are some popular Facebook groups for digital nomads:
- Digital Nomad Girls: This is a community of over 15,000 female digital nomads around the world. The group offers networking opportunities, mentorship, and support for women who work remotely.
- Digital Nomads Around The World: This group has over 13,000 members and offers a platform for digital nomads to share information, ask for advice, and connect with other professionals.
LinkedIn is a professional networking platform that allows you to connect with other professionals in your industry. Here are some strategies for using LinkedIn for networking:
- Join relevant groups: You can join groups related to your industry or interests, and participate in group discussions. This is a great way to connect with other professionals and share your knowledge.
- Participate in LinkedIn Live events: LinkedIn Live is a new feature that allows users to broadcast live videos. You can join live events related to your industry or interests and engage with other professionals.
- Connect with alumni: You can use LinkedIn to find and connect with alumni from your university or college. This is a great way to build relationships with professionals who share your background.
- Use LinkedIn ProFinder: LinkedIn ProFinder is a marketplace that connects businesses with freelance professionals. If you are a freelancer, you can use ProFinder to find potential clients and build your network.
Webinars are becoming increasingly popular, and they offer a great way to learn, connect, and expand your network. Here are some platforms that offer webinars:
- Zoom: Zoom is a popular video conferencing platform that many businesses and organizations use for webinars. You can attend webinars related to your industry, and engage with other professionals in the chat.
- GoToWebinar: This is another platform that offers webinars on a variety of topics. You can attend live webinars, or watch recordings of past webinars.
Twitter is another platform that you can use for networking. Here are some strategies for using Twitter:
- Follow influencers in your industry: You can follow thought leaders, influencers, and professionals in your industry, and engage with their tweets. This can help you build relationships with people who share your interests.
- Participate in Twitter chats: Twitter chats are live conversations that take place on Twitter, usually centered around a specific topic. You can participate in Twitter chats related to your industry, and engage with other professionals.
- Use hashtags: You can use hashtags related to your industry or interests to find and join conversations on Twitter. This can help you connect with other professionals and share your knowledge.
Benefits of Networking as a Digital Nomad
Access to Opportunities
Networking with other digital nomads can be incredibly beneficial in terms of access to opportunities. You may hear about new projects, partnerships, or opportunities through your network that you wouldn’t have discovered on your own. Additionally, knowing other digital nomads can lead to potential collaborations or partnerships that can bring you success in your business.
Working solo as a digital nomad can sometimes lead to a lack of creativity and motivation. By networking with other digital nomads, you can gain new perspectives, ideas, and feedback, which can help you refine your work and offer you a fresh perspective on your business.
Working as a digital nomad can sometimes feel lonely and isolating. By networking with other digital nomads, you can build a sense of community and gain support from like-minded individuals who understand your challenges and successes. This can help you feel more connected, inspired, and energized.
Opportunities to Learn
Networking with other digital nomads can also provide you with opportunities to learn and grow professionally. You may hear about new strategies, technologies, or tools that are being used in your industry, or receive feedback on your own work that can help you improve. Additionally, networking provides the opportunity to learn about different cultures and perspectives from around the world, which can broaden your own professional and personal perspectives.
How to Start Networking as a Digital Nomad
Be genuine when building relationships with other digital nomads. Networking isn’t just about exchanging business cards or connecting on LinkedIn, it’s about building real relationships with other people. Take the time to get to know other digital nomads, understand their interests and challenges, and provide value and support whenever possible.
Attend Events and Conferences
Attending digital nomad conferences, events, and meetups are a great way to meet other digital nomads in person. These events also offer the chance to learn from other professionals in your industry, attend workshops and gain valuable insights. Check out websites like Meetup.com to discover digital nomad events near you.
Join Online Communities
Joining online communities like Facebook Groups and LinkedIn groups are great ways to connect with other digital nomads. These groups range in size and focus, so it’s important to choose groups that align with your interests or expertise. Engage in conversations and contribute where you can, this will help you gain credibility and build relationships.
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people and give back to the communities you visit. This may also lead to new opportunities, as you’ll meet other volunteers or local professionals who share your interests.
Utilize Social Media
Social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram can prove invaluable when it comes to networking as a digital nomad. Use hashtags, join Twitter chats and follow other digital nomads to find inspiration, new perspectives and connect with other professionals in your industry.
After meeting someone through a networking event or online, always follow-up soon after the initial introduction. Invite them for a coffee or another event, this will help you build upon the relationship created and further establish your network.
Networking as a digital nomad is essential to building a successful career and life on the road. It helps to create a community and support system, which can contribute immensely to personal and professional growth. By utilizing both online and offline networking strategies, digital nomads can break down the barriers of isolation, connect with like-minded individuals, and access a world of opportunities.
As a digital nomad, networking is vital to ensure you stay connected, up-to-date, and motivated in your professional life. Whether through attending conferences, joining coworking spaces, or connecting with others online, building relationships with other digital nomads can provide you with numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth. Networking can offer emotional support, provide new perspectives, help you learn, and ultimately provide you with the opportunity to make lifelong connections and gain business-enhancing opportunities. So, get out there, meet some new people, share your experiences and collaborate to build the digital nomad lifestyle of your dreams!